Download the 7 Most Important Things To Look For In A Family Law Attorney

Steps To Take If Your Spouse Says No To Divorce

Divorce Without Consent

Steps To Take If Your Spouse Says No To Divorce

February 11, 2024

By Johnson/Turner Legal

Steps To Take If Your Spouse Says No To Divorce

February 11, 2024

By Johnson/Turner Legal

TL;DR (Too Long; Didn’t Read Summary):
      • Spouses may resist divorce for various personal, emotional, or financial reasons.
      • In Minnesota, a divorce can proceed without both parties’ agreement.
      • Legal strategies exist for dealing with spouses who avoid service, fail to respond, or refuse to sign divorce papers.
      • Johnson/Turner offers experienced divorce attorneys to help overcome the challenges of a resistant spouse.

Navigating Divorce When Your Spouse Won’t Agree: Strategies for Moving Forward

Facing a spouse who refuses to agree to a divorce can add unnecessary stress and complications to an already challenging situation. Understanding how to proceed when you encounter resistance is crucial for moving on with your life. Here’s a comprehensive guide to handling a difficult spouse during the divorce process.

Common Reasons Spouses Resist Divorce

Several reasons can lead a spouse to resist divorce, including emotional, financial, or personal motivations. These often include:

  • Wanting to keep the family together for the children.
  • Fear of their spouse moving on with someone else.
  • Expressing anger or resentment.
  • Unwillingness to relinquish control.
  • Avoiding financial obligations like alimony or property division.
  • Holding onto hope for reconciliation.

Divorce Without Consent in Minnesota

It’s a common misconception that both spouses must agree for a divorce to proceed. In Minnesota, you can move forward with a divorce even without your spouse’s consent. Minnesota is a “No-Fault Divorce” state, meaning you can request a divorce if you believe your marriage is irreparably broken and do not have to prove your spouse did something wrong. There are legal avenues available to ensure the process goes on, reflecting the principle that one should not be forced to stay in a marriage unwillingly.

Handling a Spouse Who Avoids or Refuses Divorce

  • Evading Service: If your spouse avoids being served divorce papers, you can request court permission for alternative service methods, such as certified mail or public notice.
  • No Response to Court Filings: Should your spouse fail to respond within 30 days, you can petition for a default divorce, potentially granting the terms outlined in your initial petition.
  • Refusal to Sign Divorce Papers: If terms are negotiated but your spouse won’t sign, your lawyer can request a court date to finalize the divorce without their signature.

Seeking Professional Legal Assistance

Confronting a spouse who complicates the divorce process can intensify the emotional and logistical challenges of separation. However, partnering with a skilled divorce lawyer from Johnson/Turner can navigate these obstacles efficiently. Our team is prepared to guide you through each step, ensuring your rights are protected and the process moves forward.

Dealing with a difficult spouse during the divorce process requires resilience and the right legal support. Johnson/Turner is committed to providing the guidance and representation needed to navigate these complexities and achieve a resolution that allows you to move forward with your life. Reach out today!


Related Posts

Requirements of an MSA

The legal process can be notoriously long and exhausting.  Family law is no exception to this.  Family law cases can last for months or even longer, depending

View Article